Thursday, May 22, 2008

Harlot Habit Short


Encouraged by the dream of a cycling shell-style short that wouldn't give me diaper butt, I made the decision to order the black Habit short.
The shorts
shipped right away. I ordered them Sunday and was riding in them the following Saturday.
Opening the box, I was amused by the extra touch of wrapping them in red tissue paper. Very
Harlot - like indeed.

First impression
: I tried them on, and sure enough, no diaper butt. In fact, my girl friends exclaimed, "your ass looks great in those shorts! " I love my girlfriends. I also love the styling of the embroidered logo.

Overall Fit:
The waist fit is a bit big. They are made for wear over padded shorts and armor. I did wear them over a Womens Minkman Liner, however, the crotch caught on my saddle when I tried to slide forward at the end of a steep decent. I'll have to get a belt to ride in so I can keep wearing these shorts without crashing when they fall off of my waist. The shorts got bigger as the ride went on.

Technical Performance:
At one rest period, I looked down to see that the Dryon™ water repellent finish was doing its job. Tiny beads of sweat sat gingerly upon my thigh, glistening like the morning dew. The shorts stayed dry throughout the three hour ride, and that says a lot. I am known to perspire. I haven't crashed in them, yet, so I'll have to let you know about the abrasion resistance.

The Nutshell
Love, love love:
  • fit on the rear

  • overall styling

  • water repellent

  • secure and comfortable waist closures
Things I'd like to see:
  • those snappy things to fasten your under-chamois to the shorts

  • Harlot's design of a comfortable and stylish belt to wear with these shorts

  • a discreet zipper pocket on the front for little things like lip balm

  • integrated waist size adjustment options because hip to waist size ratios vary so greatly from woman to woman
Overall score: 8 out of 10...

...because I like my shorts to stay on and not keep me from riding



1 comment:

MoJito said...

I caught Harlot for the first time at Sea Otter this year. I bought a long sleeve t-shirt from them that said "Ride Bikes, Be Fabulous"...it's not for wearing on the bike, but still, it was super cool. I say more bike-oriented casual wear, please!