Thursday, May 29, 2008

Athleta UPF Performance Polo


At a tech training I once won a Nike golf shirt for women. Not a golfer, I rode in it. The fabric was cool and comfortable, and the polo styling was a welcome break from the boring old cycling jersey. The only problem: it's white. White shirt and brown dirt - you get the picture. Then I found a brown golf shirt in the Athleta catalog.

First Impression
: The polo looked exactly like it did in the catalog. It's really lightweight, and feels good on the skin.


Overall Fit: Overall the lines are very feminine and flattering. The bust darts and princess seams make the top form fitting. The length hits at mid-hip on me (I'm relatively tall), leaving plenty of coverage between the polo's hem and the waist of my shorts. I was pleased that the shoulder seam met the arm seam in the same actual place where my arm connects to my broad shoulder. My only complaint is that where these seams join they create a point. The squareness reminded me of epaulettes.

Technical Performance:
Very comfortable, didn't inhibit my riding in any way. The eyelet-type knit of
the Wick-It™ fabric kept me cool and comfortable. When I took off my pack to put on my gear, I felt an amazing cooling sensation on my back, like the heat and moisture were being lifted right off of me.

The Nutshell
Love, love love:

  • overall fit

  • breathable

  • ultra-wicking

  • attractive color
  • attractive lines
Things I'd like to see:
  • a rounder shoulder
Overall score: 10 out of 10...

...because this polo is great for getting sweaty and dirty, while still looking kinda' girly.

No comments: