Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Loeka Tech Shell Short - Digger



While cruising the Sea Otter Classic booths this past spring, my eye was caught by Loeka. The fabrics and design were unique and attractive. I stopped to have a chat with Rory, the owner, about how to find Loeka products, based in Canada, near me. Alas, there are no brick and mortar retailers in Nor Cal, but there are some U.S. online retailers. I eventually chose to risk not being able to try them on, and order from Freeride Foundation because not only are these women retailers, they are active in racing and promoting women's cycling.

First Impression: beautiful chocolate color with nice pink, but not too pink, contrast stitching. The polyester woven fabric is really soft, and feels good on the skin. Cute rear pockets with flap closures and a subtle logo on the left.

Overall Fit: According to their size chart, I'd wear a small. I can't help but wonder in what other universe I'd wear a small. It seems that many of the women's baggies producers have taken the movement toward vanity sizing to an extreme. I could not trust that I was a small, so I ordered a medium and a small. The small fit my waist, but was tight on the upper thighs and lower butt. I'd say the size chart is accurate if you do not have a large ass, like mine. The medium was big all over, but especially in the front waist. The waist size adjustment system is two pieces of black webbing that secure with a buckle in the front, and are about half the width of the waist band. Although this "belt" passes through two belt loops, it rides up above the waist band and cuts into the belly, leaving the waist gaping below. This will not happen if the waist fits exactly, or close to it, but that never happens to me in any garment because my hips and rear far exceed my waist.

Technical Performance:
I took the medium out on a cross country ride on a warm evening, putting them over my favorite chamois, as recommended.Very comfortable and very wicking. Alas, they were a bit big, and friction did occur between the shell and my liner. The inner thighs rode up as I pedaled on climbs. I had a hard time sliding freely on my saddle. At the end of the ride, my girlfriend declared, "Those are too big for you. Give them to me!" which I think speaks to both the crazy sizing and the attractiveness of the design.

The Nutshell
Love, love, love

  • wicking
  • great feeling fabric
  • attractive color

Things I'd like to see:
  • side waist adjustment system, or an integrated belt that matches the width of the waist band
  • a size small-and-a-half OR the big booty version

Overall score: 8 out of 10... because the bizarre sizing and lack of a comfortable waist adjustment system.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It'd be wonderful if you could post photos but I can understand if you don't. This is very useful information, a real service to manufacturers. I'll be sure to pass the info along to kindred.

Sweet Cheeks said...

I have had a few requests for photos, and I am considering making the extra effort. It just takes carrying a camera and asking a pal to take pics. It's not currently in my routine.

Thanks for the suggestion.